MAIF Group: Winner of the 6th edition of the Amadeis and Mirova Responsible Investor Award
Amadeis and Natixis Asset Management, through its responsible investment division, Mirova, joined up for the sixth consecutive year, in cooperation with Les Echos, to present the Responsible Investor Award. This prize aims to reward institutional investors who have illustrated themselves as responsible investors through their actions in the last twelve months.
The jury1, comprised of top names in the Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) and sustainable development fields, presented the 2013 Responsible Investor Award to the MAIF Group.
MAIF is a mutual insurance company open to a wide public that shares its values. 3.4 million members, of which more than 149,000 associations and local authorities, have placed their trust in MAIF and benefit from a broad range of products and services, mainly casualty insurance, life insurance and insurance for legal persons.
With around €15.7 billion in assets under management2, the MAIF Group has made responsible investment a core tenet of its investment policy since 2009:
- 1st French insurance company to have signed the PRI3
- SRI charter formalised and validated by the Board of Directors, detailing the mutual insurance company's areas of commitment:
o taking into account ESG criteria4 for all asset classes,
o controlling and providing regular information on the actions implemented,
o promoting responsible engagement by financial partners and exchanging with the entire financial community.
In 2013, this approach was translated into concrete initiatives in terms of responsible investment, including:
- Integration of an internal SRI analysis and rating process, based on VIGEO research, with an impact on bond investment decisions. This asset class accounts for 75% of the group's financial investments2. Assessment of the degree of SRI involvement of MAIF's partner asset management companies in their corporate behaviour and in their investments via an SRI Due Diligence questionnaire.
- Signature of a research partnership with the University of Auvergne for the financing of the “Corporate Value and Social Responsibility” chair.
- Creation of a 4-minute educational video on MAIF's SRI approach - go to www.maif.fr/investissementresponsable.
With this award, Amadeis and Mirova are asserting their convictions and commitment in terms of responsible investment in a French market that is still growing strongly, with a more than 29% increase in assets managed in one year, estimated at €149 billion as of 31 December 20125.
For further information, please refer to the website: http://www.leprixinvestisseurresponsable.com/
1 Mirova and Amadeis are not jury members. Jury composition in appendix.
2 Source: MAIF Group as of 30/09/2013
3 PRI: Principles for Responsible Investment
4 ESG: Environmental, Social/Societal and Governance
5 Source: French SRI market 2012 - Survey carried out by the Novethic SRI research centre - April 2013
Amadeis is an independent investment consulting firm. Amadeis helps institutional investors optimise the performance of their investments by defining, implementing and monitoring their investment strategy. With close to €18 billion in assets under advisement, Amadeis is one of the leaders in its field in France. Since its creation, Amadeis has taken a keen interest in responsible investing and contributed to its development in the French market, carrying out numerous missions on behalf of investors and producing studies. The creation of an award aiming to salute the action of institutional investors and companies is very much in keeping with this approach.
Mirova, the Responsible Investment division of Natixis Asset Management, develops an engaged approach aiming to combine value creation and sustainable development.
Mirova's philosophy is based on the conviction that integrating sustainable development themes in investment approaches can generate solutions that create value for investors over the long term. Mirova offers a global responsible investing approach with a unique offering built on 4 pillars: listed equities, infrastructure(1), Impact investing(2), voting and engagement. The second-largest European manager of open-ended SRI funds(3) and No.1 in Impact investing in France(4) and in Europe(3), Mirova has €3.9bn in equity in terms of AuM, a total commitment of €393m in infrastructure projects(1), €6.6bn in advising on SRI (excluding equities) and €23.6bn in voting and engagement. Mirova gathers 38 multi-disciplinary experts, specialists in thematic investment management, engineers, financial and ESG(6) analysts, specialists and experts in socially-conscious finance and project financing. Mirova has also formed a research partnership with the Cambridge University and is actively involved in several international initiatives and organisations. Mirova's fund range is distributed by Natixis Global Asset Management's global distribution platform and is designed for all types of investors, both professional and non-professional.
With assets under management of €292.5bn and 678 employees, Natixis Asset Management ranks among the leading European asset managers. Natixis Asset Management's investment management is organised into six investment divisions: Fixed income, European equities, Investment and Client Solutions, Structured and volatility (developed by Seeyond(7)), Global emerging and Responsible investing (developed by Mirova(7)).
Source: Natixis Asset Management as of 30/09/2013. (1) The infrastructure financing activity is managed by Mirova Environment and Infrastructure, a subsidiary of Natixis Asset Management. (2) Impact investing: investments with a strong social and environmental impact. (3) Source: Feri Lipper as of 04/2013. (4) Baromètre Finansol 2012. Impact investing: of which €55 million invested directly in solidarity organisations. (6) ESG: Environmental, Social/Societal and Governance. (7) Seeyond and Mirova are brands of Natixis Asset Management.
References to classifications, awards and/or ratings are not an indicator of future performances by the funds/UCITS and/or fund manager.
Natixis Global Asset Management, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Natixis, comprises management and distribution firms based in Europe, the United States and Asia. Assets under management total more than €619.3 billion worldwide. It employs more than 3,200 staff.
Source: Natixis Asset Management as of 30 September 2013
+ 33 1 58 32 01 03
NATIXIS ASSET MANAGEMENT
+33 1 78 40 84 54
+33 1 44 55 06 80
1. Composition of 2013 Jury
- Philippe Chalmin, Founder of the CyclOpe circle, Professor of economics at the Paris-Dauphine University
- Sébastien Duquet, Chief Executive Officer, ResponsAbility France
- Robin Edme, Responsible finance consultant at the Ministry for Ecology, Sustainable development and Energy, former President of the French Social Investment Forum (SIF) and Eurosif
- Christian Huglo, Lawyer and founder of law firm Huglo Lepage & Associés Conseil, specialising in environmental law
- Jean-Michel Severino, Manager of "Investisseurs et Partenaires conseil", a management company specialising in venture capital funds dedicated to SMEs in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Hélène Valade, Deputy CEO in charge of Sustainable development at Lyonnaise des Eaux, President of C3D (Directeurs du Développement Durable, Sustainable Development Directors)
Universe of French institutional investors, all categories combined
(pension and providence bodies, insurance companies, public institutions, companies, foundations, etc.)
3. Former prize-winners
- 2012: Humanis
- 2011: AG2R LA MONDIALE
- 2010: Fonds de Réserve pour les Retraites (FRR)
- 2009: AGRICA EPARGNE, with a special mention from the jury for DANONE
- 2008: ERAFP (Etablissement de Retraite Additionnelle de la Fonction Publique)